While searching for some sweaters for our daughter, I came upon this gray/navy houndstooth one from J. Crew. For half-off day, I got the $4.99 sweater for just $2.50! Dutifully, I brought it home, and straight into the washer it went! OOOOOPS!!!!! Forgot to check the tag …. wool !!!!
It came out looking more like a sweater for one of our dogs, so off to work I went. I began by serging off the sleeves.
Next, I approximated where to cut some holes for his legs. After trying it on our dog, Louie, I had to make the holes larger and higher. Then, I used that nifty fold-over elastic, and bound the edges of the armholes, using a zig-zag stitch to secure.
I needed to fuss with the “shoulder” area some more, so I serged away some more fabric until it fit Louie much better!
The sweater was too long, so I created a seam just above the gray ribbing at the bottom, taking away about 2 inches of length. Below, you can see that I pinned, then I serged away those 2 inches.
Here’s our handsome Louie modeling his new sweater, but there was one more adjustment I needed to make …..
From the side view, you can see that the sweater hangs loosely around his mid-section. This
could will create a problem when he goes out to do his duty !!! So, I folded over the gray ribbing (to the inside), and stitched the seam with a “stretch” stitch on my machine. (I used a stitch that looks like a lightening bolt, but you could also use a zig-zag stitch.) I made sure to leave about an inch opening to insert some elastic.
After measuring the length I would need around Louie’s mid-section to hold the sweater tight, I inserted some elastic. Then, I stitched the ends of the elastic together, and sewed the opening closed.
Now, his custom $2.50 J. Crew dog sweater fits him perfectly!!! Bring on the cold and the snow!!!
Louie actually likes it ….. he HATES being cold!!!!