When you talk “team spirit,” this vest is about as obnoxious as it comes!!! Having received numerous compliments on it (despite the lack of “step-by-step” photos), I am going to blog about it’s creation.
This vest was created because I was sewing along with a blogger’s challenge. I had not entered to be one of the contestants, but I decided to sew along with the weekly challenges in order to push myself and see what I could create. The challenge was hosted by The Renegade Seamstress https://chicenvelopements.wordpress.com , and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what the challengers created, as well as what the other seamstresses who “sewed along” made too. It definitely pushed my sewing to new limits!!!
This particular week of the competition was about leather. We could make whatever we wanted, as long as it included leather. So, when I found this SCREAMING orange leather coat at the thrift store, I knew I had to make something “Bengals” related, as I live in southern Ohio. So, I grabbed the oversized orange jacket, as well as a black one.
I cut the sleeves off the jacket, and bound them with some of the stretchy seam binding in black (using a “leather” needle on my machine). Then, I fit the vest to myself, and sewed the side seams. Next, I took the black buttons off the black coat, and put them on the new vest. Next for the stripes …. when I went to cut up the black jacket, I realized that I needed longer strips for some of the stripes. So, back to the thrift store for a longer coat ….
I cut this one apart and made all the “stripes.” I pinned them in place, then sewed around the edges to secure them on the vest. Here is the final product …. now I am fully ready for this fantastic season that our Bengals are having!!!! This vest is certainly “one of a kind!!!”