My motto for the year is “Go Green in ’17.” Will lots of you join me in efforts to eliminate waste and repurpose and recycle this year???? I am hoping so! Respond in the comments at the bottom and let me know what you are doing or plan to do. 🙂
My next recycle of the year is for this long dress, which was in very good shape at a local thrift store.
It fit me perfectly at the waist, and the length was great , but the top was too wide and too low cut for my liking. I was originally going to take in the top and add a lace inset across the front, but I decided to scrap that idea. I realized that if I made it into a skirt, then I could wear either a short or long sleeved top with it, and could also change the color of the top.
So, I began by cutting the top at a shoulder seam and then a side seam. I then made a small horizontal cut about 2 inches above the top of the waistband elastic.
My idea was to serge this line about 2 inches above the waist, which would finish off the edge neatly.
In doing this, the top of the dress was removed, and the top edge of my skirt now looked like this.
Before I finished the work on the waistband, I wanted to take in the sides of the skirt to fit me better. I placed a few pins, then drew (with my French Curve ruler and my purple disappearing pen) where I would sew my new seam.
I then serged my new side seams, removing my pins as I sewed.
Next, back to the waistband. I folded the 2 inch black section toward the inside of the skirt, and pinned it tightly behind the existing elastic. I pinned just BELOW the elastic, as I did NOT want to sew ON the elastic (I wanted the elastic to move freely).
Seeing that I would be sewing on off-white fabric on the front and black fabric on the back, I got out off-white thread for the top of my machine, and black thread for the bobbin.
I also made sure to switch my needle to a JERSEY/BALL POINT needle. This separated the threads of the jersey fabric properly without creating actual holes.
Then, I did what we call a “STITCH IN THE DITCH.” I placed the needle VERY close to the seam below the waistband, and “stitched in the ditch” essentially right where the seam is. This allowed my new seam to hardly be visible, but yet it held my fabric in place.
I had now secured the black fabric behind the off-white waistband. This is what the inside of the skirt looked like.
The outside of the skirt looked like this after I had “stitched in the ditch.”
All done with the work … now I just needed to choose a top and start wearing my new skirt!!!
Here is the skirt with a chunky necklace, a wide belt, and my black booties.
Then I added a black “jean” jacket for a slightly different look and/or added warmth.