Metallic Sewing Challenge

Metallic Sewing Challenge

This week for the Refashion Runway challenge, the contestants were asked to sew  something METALLIC!  As I mentioned last week, I am not a contestant, but am “sewing along,” and will hopefully also get posted on The Renegade Seamstress site so that I can get more followers for my blog.  If you would like to see what the actual contestants have sewn, click the link on the right side of this post and scroll for the blog posts regarding the challenge.

Think Metallic …. metallic fabrics, metallic threads woven into fabric, metallic fabric paint, metallic beads, buttons, etc.  LOTS to look at when at the thrift stores searching for “metallic!”  SO much to sift through to find the “right” items to re-purpose!

Here’s what I chose … a VERY oversized dress, made of silver fabric, ($6.99)

IMG_5692

 

and a top with a DARLING metal zipper adornment at the neck, but “wing” sleeves! ($4.99)

IMG_5693

 

After washing and drying my items, I started by cutting the skirt from the waistband and the top of the dress.

IMG_5694

 

Laying the fabric flat, I cut a new skirt, using a basic pattern I had.  I placed the bottom of the pattern pieces at the hem of the old skirt.  This allowed me to keep the fabric adornment intact and the hem already finished.

IMG_5695

 

I constructed the skirt per the pattern, but needed to add a couple of extra darts to take in the width along the top edge (because of how I needed to cut the pieces).  Instead of facing the top edge, I decided to re-use the pretty waistband from the original dress.

IMG_5696

I re-sized the waistband to fit my skirt, and attached it.  See how the cummerbund part stops at the side seams.

IMG_5698

Next, after checking the fit, I inserted an invisible zipper.

IMG_5699

Then, after finishing edges to prevent raveling, I hand sewed the inside of the top of the waistband.

IMG_5700

At this point, a little voice in my head said ….. “You can make this project SHINE better than this!!!”  So, I pulled out my bead boxes, and found some shiny silver beads.

IMG_5701

I added them to the tops and bottoms of the fabric design near the hem.

How fun is this???

IMG_5702

Time for the top.  After fitting, I determined where I needed to sew new seams under the arms.

IMG_5705

Using my serger, I removed the “wings.”

IMG_5706

Liking the look of a much shorter sleeve, which angled toward the armpit (similar to the angle of the zipper treatment at the neck), I marked how I needed to cut my fabric.

IMG_5707

After serging those cut edges, I stitched a hem on the sleeves, and my project was complete!!!

Here’s the final look of my new “metallic” challenge outfit!

DSC00925

This decoration really IS made from metal zippers!!!

DSC00926

DSC00945

Don’t forget to notice those beads I added near the hem!!!

Happy making,

Molly 🙂

 

6 thoughts on “Metallic Sewing Challenge

  1. Wow! Fantastic job, Molly! Gorgeous dress! I especially love the zipper detailing. So pretty. Hopefully you can be a contestant on the next season. I’m already a fan! 🙂
    ~Jen

    1. Thanks so much Jen! Great job on your velvet dress for the challenge …. yes, taking photos in 90 degree heat sure was fun in that velvet! 🙂 Best of luck on the Refashion Runway!!!
      Molly

  2. Have clicked over from the Renegade Seamstress and the current season of the Refashion Runway – this is an excellent refashion. Have enjoyed reading through your past posts.

  3. Just beautiful!!! Now we need reports on all the fun places you will where your velvet and metallics!!!

Comments are closed.