I have seen lots of tops with stripes and solids combined, so I decided to make my own version. I started with these two jersey tops from the thrift store.
Both shirts fit me. I liked the hemline of the striped one, but not the sleeves. The sleeves of the black were almost long enough, but not quite for these “monkey” arms of mine! So, I got to work.
I carefully removed the sleeves from both of the tops, cutting very close to the previous serged stitching, so that my new seam would look nice and clean.
I removed the black sleeves on the BODY side of the seam. (See the seam is on the right of the scissors.)
I removed the striped sleeves on the SLEEVE side of the seam. (See the seam is on the left of the scissors.)
Cutting closer . . .
I inserted the news sleeves into the body of the striped shirt, then made sure to pin the right sides of the shirt and sleeve together properly.
I serged the armholes, re-attaching the new black sleeves. (Removing pins as I sewed!)
With that done, I moved on to the length of the sleeves, wanting to add some interest to them as well.
From the removed striped sleeves, I marked and cut 2 1/2″ from the bottom of each sleeve.
Then, placing the striped cuff just below the existing cuff of the black sleeve, I marked the width of the striped piece (so that when I sewed them together, they would be the same width). I added just the width for my serged seam (about 1/4″).
Next, I serged this seam.
Then, with right sides together, I pinned the striped pieces to the bottom of each black sleeve.
I then serged these together.
My top was now complete! Here are some photos of the finished product.
I can leave the shirt untucked, or certainly tuck it in as well.