That’s a Wrap!

That’s a Wrap!

Happy New Year …. a bit late!  I’ve been celebrating the holidays and cleaning some closets since you saw me last.  I hope your 2017 is off to a great start!  We had all of our kids home during some part of the holidays, and of course that was the BEST!!!  Now it’s time to get back to some creativity!  Please join me!!!

This week, I started with this dress I had found.

This photo doesn’t make the dress look as bad as it actually looked on me!  The V was way too deep (see my camisole?), the sleeves kind of awkward, and the skirt part WAY too full.

I decided to do something with the skirt part, since I liked the embroidered flowers at the bottom.  So, I began by cutting off the skirt.

Then, I cut beside the back zipper and down the back seam.

I now had a piece which looked like this.

I ironed away the wrinkles and the pleats.

After playing around with the fabric piece (as a possible slim skirt, a possible top, etc.), I decided to make a wrap to show off the pretty embroidery.  I pulled a pattern from my stash which I used for the basis of my wrap.  View C on the left, is the photo of inspiration.

I did not have the actual width which the pattern required, but I knew I could create a shorter cape with the same basic pattern.  Playing around with my fabric, I decided to cut my rectangle to 60 inches long by the 24 inches of width that I had.  First, I needed to square off my corners to create that perfect rectangle.

Then, to finish off my edges, I serged around the three unfinished sides (the hem of the original skirt below the black flowers stayed in tact).

Next, I needed to finish those three sides neatly.  On the two short sides, I folded over about 1/4 inch, and ironed.

Then, I folded over again, and ironed again.

Next, I sewed these two sides with a 1/4 inch seam.

Those sides now looked like this.

On the long (60 inch) edge, I again began by folding over 1/4 inch and ironing.

Then, I folded over about 1 inch, and ironed again.

Wanting a bit more stability along this edge (because this is where I will be adding snaps), I decided to add some iron on Fusing Tape.

So, I then opened up my 1 inch seam, and inserted the fusing tape between the layers.

Next I folded the fabric back down, and ironed the fusing tape to hold the fabric together.

To ensure that the fold stayed closed forever, I sewed a seam.

You may notice the nifty metallic gizmo I have on the right side of the above photo.  It is a magnetic seam guide by Dritz,  which I recently purchased.  It is wonderful for those strange widths which might not be marked on your throat plate.  I LOVE IT!!!!

Next, I used the pattern piece from the pattern shown at the beginning (McCalls 7262, View C), to determine the placement and length of the area where the snaps will close my cape.

Deciding that I would add a “snap strip” instead of individual snaps to my wrap, I pulled out some of my snap strip, cut it to the length I wanted, then secured the ends with an underturned seam.

Being afraid that the edges of the white strip might show, I decided to first dye the snap strips.  So, I pulled out some Black Rit Dye.

Putting some dye into a small bucket of water, I soaked my strips for a while to absorb the color.

After sufficient time, I thoroughly rinsed my strips and dried them before sewing them onto my wrap.

I pinned . . .

then sewed (using my zipper foot so I could go AROUND the snaps and not OVER them).

Lastly, I snapped the wrap closed.

As they say . . . . . . . “That’s a Wrap!!!!”

Ready for use over a black dress or some pants to add some flair for an evening!!!

Happy Making,

Molly   🙂

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 thoughts on “That’s a Wrap!

    1. Thank you Debra! Sometimes I stew for quite a while with a piece, before deciding what to do with parts of it. Refashioning is fun though, because I am not starting from complete scratch.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *