At the start of these 5 weeks of challenges on Refashion Runway (sponsored by http://www.therenegadeseamstress.com), we were told what all 5 of the challenges would be. This way, we could be thinking ahead.
When I saw this dress at a thrift store several weeks ago, I knew it would be the item for the basis of my TUNIC, for week 4.
I LOVED the bold colors and the geometric shapes, as well as the horizontal trim around the bottom!!!
After shopping for items to use with it for accent (and also for additional fabric), I settled upon a royal blue scrub top . . .
It was a 3XL, so it would give me lots of usable fabric.
I began by cutting the dress where I thought would be a good length for the tunic.
I used some pattern pieces to cut the front and back.
Next, I cut the sleeves from the scrub top.
Then, I cut the trim for the bottom of the sleeves from the dress (measuring down 5 inches, following the shape of the bottom of the sleeves).
After that, I cut the collar from the scrub top.
After sewing the tunic front to the tunic back, I attached the scrub collar to the top of the tunic. I did this by laying the collar on top of the tunic front, and pinning the collar to the fabric where it belonged (the tunic pattern really had a rounded neckline). After placing the collar in position, I cut away the excess fabric from the tunic top.
Next I sewed the blue sleeve pieces together and added the coordinating tunic fabric to the bottom of each sleeve.
The next step was to fold back about 1/2 inch on the bottom of the band,
then fold the band in half, and “stitch in the ditch” to hold it.
Time to sew the seams of the sleeves together.
Then sew them into each of the armholes of the tunic.
At this point, I tried on the top, and this was the look. . .
The sleeves were too wide, and the body too long to be flattering. So, I narrowed the sleeves, and raised the horizontal trim along the bottom before calling it done.
Here’s my new tunic!